Thursday, January 17, 2013

I'm thinking about switching careers


I'm not very happy with my current job because I don't have any way to excel or be praised for the work I do. I work 40 hours a week and the job is boring so it's not very fulfilling.

Let me explain how I got here.

About a year and a half ago I went to a community college to get my certificate for medical billing. I went to school for 11 months and I even did an externship at the local hospital. On my last day I had paperwork to be signed by the office manager and somehow she graded it all wrong: 1 being bad and 5 being good - she gave me all ones. So I didn't pay attention to the paper (I'm kicking myself now) and turned it in. Two weeks later in June I moved to Colorado with my husband and I was waiting for my certificate in the mail. After four weeks I still hadn't received my certificate so I called the school. They told me that I needed to do my externship over again in order to finish up. I explained that I lived clear across the country and couldn't come back. They told me that there's nothing they could do about it.

So I got a job working customer service (again) on the phone in a call center and I'm going to be honest here when I say that I was good at the job but my stress level was through the roof. Finally in June of this year I was promoted to another department and thought that I was really going to be able to use my skills. Instead I do very unfulfilling work and spend all day at a computer in an uncomfortable chair.

I'm almost 5 months pregnant now and I've been giving a lot of thought to what I'm going to do after the baby is born. I really don't have a desire to come back to my current job. I've been looking into telecommuting opportunity from home. Let's face it, your average American is faced with huge childcare bills and if your kid isn't potty trained you're looking at extra fees. One establishment wanted $800/ mo for my 5 year old before she started school. That's three quarters of our rent... needless to say we got lucky with a friend who is a stay at home mom but she has moved now.

I need a better solution. So I decided that I want to try and get my medical billing and transcription certificate again through a local school here. I can go in the evenings after my husband comes home and I'd love to get started once the baby is sleeping through the night.

The great thing about this is that there are lots of work from home positions available. I worked full time with both kids but now that I'm older I think I want to stay home.

This is what I'm going to school for now:

Health Information Technology (Medical Records) AAS
The Health Information Technology (HIT) program enables the student to develop the technical skills necessary for managing health information within the healthcare delivery system. The health information field has employment opportunities in hospitals, long term care, ambulatory care, mental health and other healthcare facilities as well as private industry. Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate is eligible to write the national certification examination and upon successful passing of this examination, receive the RHIT (Registered Health Information Technology) credentials. This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management (CAHIIM). The American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) is the association of health information management (HIM) professionals. AHIMA Web site: www.ahima.org
  Total: 66 Credit Hours

I guess it really depends on how long it takes to complete the programs.my estimate is two years since I have to take every class I've already taken over again. Turns out that what was two credits back home is three credits here. :( So nothing transferred. Great...

All I know is that I have to do something other than what I'm doing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment